Friday, January 7, 2011

Mercy: Mine and God's

As the first full week of the New Year draws to a close, I'm looking back on controlled, and sometimes, uncontrolled, chaos. I don't like chaos. I am one of those "everything has a place and everything should be in its place" kind of people.

My schedule has to be the same way. I have a schedule and I stick to it. End of story. Not.  At least not this week. This was the first week of a new work schedule for me. I had it all planned out - knew exactly when I needed to be in the office working and when I needed to be in my home office, working. It didn't work. The schedule, that is. That drove me to such heights of frustration I thought I would lose my sanity. It didn't matter that I accomplished everything work-related that I needed to accomplish. The fact that my well-planned schedule didn't meet my exacting standards pushed me to the door of total craziness.

What if God acted this way towards us? What if we weren't in the right place at the right time according to His schedule, what would he do? What if we didn't accomplish what He asked us to on any given day? Would he show no mercy to us, like I showed no mercy to myself? Of course not. The Bible says, "Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." (Lamentations 3:22-23 NIV) 

Abba Father, Thank you for your mercy. I thank You that even when I am not where You want me to be, and I don't accomplish what You ask me to do, You always extend mercy and love to me. Help me to show more mercy to myself, and to others. Thank You for new mercies every morning and for great faithfulness that never fails. It is in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit I pray, Amen.

(c) Edwina Cowgill. 2011.

2 comments:

quietspirit said...

Edwina: I, too, get tense and upset when my schedule gets disrupted. God's mercy gives me a second and a third and a fourth chance ad infinitum. Thank God for His mercy.

Edwina said...

Cecile,

What would we do without God's mercy and grace?

Blessings,
Edwina