Monday, January 10, 2011

Delight Yourself in the Lord: Alone With Him

“And He said to them, "Come away by yourselves to a secluded place and rest a while." (Mark 6:31 New American Standard Bible)

One of my personal interpretations of “delight yourself in the Lord” is found in the above Bible verse. We are invited to come away by ourselves and rest. How can I truly get to know the Lord and delight in Him if I never take the time to sit at His feet? To listen to Him tell me how much He loves me?

When we go to a secluded place and spend time with God, it is those times that we can hear Him say “You have stolen my heart, my sister, my bride; you have stolen my heart with one glance of your eyes.” (Song of Solomon 4:9) Just think about that for a moment – when we give God just one glance, we steal his heart – the Almighty God, who created the heavens and the earth. One translation says when we look at Him, it takes His breath away. Amazing! When I – or you – look at God, He loses His breath!

We don’t have to go away for a long period of time. In fact, we don’t even have to go away. Spend time with God, our Bible, pen and journal and He will speak to us. It doesn't matter if it's morning, evening or mid-day.As we sit in His presence and listen to God, we begin to feel the tension in our bodies ease, the knots in our necks and shoulders untie themselves. The burdens we have seem a little lighter, the problems not quite so insurmountable. More importantly, we’ve reconnected with God. We are at peace. We have told Him we love Him. And He has replied back, “I love you with an everlasting love and I have drawn you with my loving-kindness.” (Jeremiah 31:3)

Abba Father, thank You for calling us away from the busyness of life to spend time with You. Thank You for those times of seclusion and rest with You. And most of all, thank You for Your love for us - for the ways You speak Your love over us and for the myriad ways You show us Your love. We love you, Abba Father. Amen.

No comments: