Wednesday, July 29, 2009

THREE STEPS TO ACCOMPLISHING ANYTHING:

STEP ONE: PRAY


On Monday, I posted a blog about not being able to write. I listed several different reasons why I believe I have had “writer’s block” for the last two weeks. The reasons were accurate, but I have realized since then, they are not the main reason I’ve been unable to write.

One would think at my age I would have realized that anything and everything I do should be prefaced with prayer. The more serious the project or challenge or change, the more time I should spend in prayer before beginning that work.

I can’t speak for anyone else of course, but I suspect I’m not the only one here that gets into trouble because I don’t pray before I say ‘yes’ in response to being asked to do something. Or I see a need and I speak up; before I know it, I own that need and its solution, that being whatever solution I develop. Even when I think I have heard the voice of the Lord giving me something to do, I still will not take time to pray. I will go bulldozing my way ahead, taking charge and “gettin’ ‘er done.” Woe be unto man or beast who stands in the way of a woman on a mission!

And if getting myself into trouble by saying ‘yes’ before I pray isn’t enough, it is disobedience to the Word of God:

“But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.” (Matt. 6:33) I’m not a Bible scholar, but I think “seek ye first” means exactly what it says. In other words, pray first – before you make any decisions or take any action. The second part of the verse says, “all these things shall be added unto you.” This phrase means you will receive what you prayed for. Right? We know that God answers prayer. But not always in the way that we expect. His answers to our prayers may not be manifested according to our timetable, but the answer will come at the exact moment needed. His answer may not be what we had prayed for, but it will be even better - "far above what we could ask or think." I am sure that God has answered your prayers and He has answered mine in ways we never expected, but always "exceedingly abundant" above what we requested and that answer came at the precise moment we needed it.

If we pray, and God says “Yes, I want you to do this” what’s next? We must prepare. The topic for the next blog.

No comments: