Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I am delighted to have Cynthia Simmons as my guest today. Cynthia is the author of  "Struggles and Triumphs Study Guide" - more information about the study guide is at the end of her devotion. For me, Cynthia's devotion is timely and ministered to me. I pray that you are blessed as you read her devotion. And be sure to check out her study guide!

 “I was in such a nervous state I did not dare go anywhere as a dreadful nervous state would come upon me, without warning, anytime…” This testimonial appeared in the 1934 New Weather Almanac. A lady they called Mrs. Wolfard went on to describe the cure, Nervine Liquid, created by Dr. Miles.
A quick search of old publications reveals numerous cures for insomnia, restlessness, palpitations, neuritis whatever ails.  Each advertisement promises what we long fora peaceful, fulfilling life. But did they work? Do our modern tonics fix what ails us? Our journey often leaves us battered and broken. We all know the sudden wallop of pain that descends when sorrow arrives.  

I remember the day I helped my dad off the pavement after a fall. Invisible fingers of guilt squeezed my soul while I patched up his scrapes.  He was almost 86, yet I hadn’t noticed his stumbling stride. After Mom died,  he aged fast.  I wondered how long I’d have him. He died a few months later after a brief illness.

And I’ve felt the blinding pain of betrayal. One of my adult children chose to manipulate and lie to me for six years. My dreams and hopes for her lay squashed like an accident in rush hour traffic. After a lifelong commitment, how could I bear the sting?
Sometimes the dreaded storms arrive after sufficient warning. Years ago, dark clouds gathered on the horizon as I’d watched one of my sons struggle to learn.  After the doctor’s report came, he had a three paragraph diagnosis. It felt like swallowing razor blades for breakfast.  I grieved for months.

Nervine no longer exists. Even if I could use it, the magic liquid couldn’t address the empty ache in any of these situations. Where should we go for help?  What hospital or what government official can give the individual what he needs?

I chose to remember the words of Jesus in Luke 4:4 “…Man shall not live by bread alone…” He announced that mankind needs something more than food. Indeed he stated that we must have “…every word that proceeds from the mouth of God…” This verse proclaims that we are more than just the sum total of our chemistry. It trumpets that meaning and hope can be found in our creator.  Indeed the Redeemer can make “all things work together for good.”
 After severe persecution, the apostle Paul experienced depression so intense he expected to die. Yet God encouraged and restored him.  In 2 Corinthians 1, he said he chose to pass along that hope and encouragement to his fellow believers. He called the creator “…the God of all comfort.”  I have also seen him comfort.  And so like Paul, Hezekiah, King David, Habakkuk, and Hannah I get on my knees. Amidst tears and searing pain, I give the anger, the fear and anguish into his hands. He alone can heal.


Struggles and Triumphs Study Guide
What’s wrong with our world? Shouldn’t a God who claims to be all powerful and flawless prevent suffering? How can we continue to believe when storms rage on in our lives? If you’ve ever had tough questions like these Struggles and Triumphs Study Guide is the book for you. Author Cynthia L. Simmons will guide you toward answers with her unique and enlightening approach. Her twelve-week Bible study for ladies comes from stories of real women as told in Struggles and Triumphs: Women in History Who Overcame. As you study, you’ll come to understand God’s perspective on timeless issues that impact your life. The carefully chosen Scriptures combined with interesting historical information will challenge and encourage you. 
Watch the trailer at: http://youtu.be/HOP9HY7xTXU

To purchase the study guide; http://www.lulu.com/shop/cynthia-simmons/struggles-and-triumphs-workbook/paperback/product-20038687.html

--



No comments: