Friday, May 6, 2011

A Modern Day Job? (as in Biblical Figure - not Work) Part Two

Yesterday, I shared some of what my husband, Dave, has experienced physically these last four years. If you missed it, please back up and read it. As I wrote, I didn't share that to complain or to brag on Dave. Rather, I shared it to brag on God.

Countless times in these last four years I've questioned why Dave has had so many physical issues. I've not gotten an answer. At least, not a satisfactory answer. Yet, I can say without a doubt, that God has not been caught off guard by these situations. He has not forsaken us. He has not abandoned us. Joshua 1:9b states, "for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Dave and I both realize that God has walked every step with us these last four years and will continue to walk every step with us.

We've had some really scary times just in this last month. I half-jokingly told someone that I had memorized every scripture in the Bible on fear. "What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee." (Ps. 56:3) "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind." (II Timothy 1:7). And finally, back in Joshua 1, "Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

Someone once said, "Patience is a virtue." Unfortunately, patience has never been one of my virtues. However, as we've waited on appointment times, test results and doctors' phone calls, patience is slowly becoming a virtue. James says in the first chapter of his book, verses 2-3, "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing."

Back to the original question from yesterday: Have you ever felt God has decided you should be a replicate of Job? I don't believe God has called anyone to be the modern day version of Job. But I do believe that we are to use the situations we face to grow spiritually. To learn to trust Him and to not be afraid. To be patient as we wait.

"But those who wait on the LORD

shall renew their strength;

They shall mount up with wings like eagles,

They shall run and not be weary,

They shall walk and not faint." (Is. 40:31)

3 comments:

Heidi Chiavaroli said...

Keep up that amazing faith, Edwina! Praying for you and Dave.

Sandy Ardoin said...

Praying for both of you, Edwina.

Edwina said...

Thanks Heidi and Sandy!