Saturday, February 19, 2011

"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand." Proverbs 19:21(NIV)

Another translation of this verse is from The Message: "We human beings keep brainstorming options and plans, but God's purpose prevails."

If you've read many of my blogs over the last two years (almost), you will know I mention slowing down, cutting back, and similarly-named topics with some frequency.

It seems I don't pay attention to my own blogs.  Once again this week, God has shown me with another physical problem that I must slow down. This time I must pay attention to my own blogs and more importantly, to what God says.

So the other day, I sat down at my trusty laptop and I made four columns on a spreadsheet. The columns were: 1) Currently Working On; 2) Have Committed to Do; 3) Should Do/Want To Do/Need To Do; 4) Memberships.  The first two columns are easy to understand, as is the third column, which had the most entries. I included memberships of organizations I belong to because each organization requires something of me, even if it's just participating in an email loop.

Now it's all on paper. I am praying over this list, asking God to show me what He wants me to do. I'm telling him (in a rather shaky voice) that it's okay if we tear this sheet up and start over with a brand-spanking new sheet that doesn't have one word written on it. I gave a copy to my sweet husband and asked him to pray about this. He is my spiritual head and his insight and wisdom have guided decisions I've needed to make many times.

I believe that God will take this list and He will delete some tasks and bring others to the forefront. My only responsibility is to listen and obey.

Speak, Lord. Your servant is listening.

No comments: