Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Book Review of "Head in the Clouds" by Karen Witemeyer

Head in the Clouds, Karen Witemeyer, 978-0-7642-0756-3



“A fast-paced adventure with romance thrown in for good measure” is the description that comes to my mind as I finish reading “Head in the Clouds” by Karen Witemeyer. Set in Texas, in 1883, this action-packed story will keep you entertained from beginning to the end.



Allow me to introduce the main characters:



Adelaide Proctor: In spite of being a hopeless romantic whose head is always in the clouds, "Addie" becomes a tigress when the people she loves are in danger.



Gideon Westcott: A privileged Englishman who moves to Texas to prove himself and his business acumen in America's wool industry. With very little warning, he finds himself the permanent, legal guardian of a five-year old child who hasn't spoken a word since she lost her mother.



Isabella: The five year old mute who regains her voice because of the love and care of Adelaide and "Papa Gidyon."



Lord Petchey: The villian is Isabella's uncle who has no scruples and will do anything,to get to Isabella and her inheritance.



Take these four characters and mix thoroughly with non-stop action and a lot of love and caring (except for Lord Petchey) and this is a book that you will enjoy reading many times over!



I don't always comment on book covers but this cover, pictured above, is a perfect representation of Adelaide with her "head in the clouds."



To win a copy of this book, please leave a comment and tell me what genre you enjoy reading the most. Be sure and leave me your email address so I can contact the winner. Drawing will be held on Friday, October 8.



A complimentary copy of this book was provided by Bethany House Publishers, a division of Baker Publishing Group, for the sole purpose of this review. This review is the opinion of the writer who did not receive any monetary compensation for the review.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Edwina! ***waving***

Love your review, this book sounds like a good one. And, I just love the cover!

My favorite genre is Comtemporary romance, but I enjoy reading Historicals, too.

debracollins(at)tds(dot)net

Edwina said...

Debra,

Waving back at 'cha!

This book was very enjoyable. I didn't put this in the blog, but there's a picture on the back cover that shows what happens as a result of the front cover! It's really cute!

Unknown said...

Hey Edwina,

I just saw a typo in the word contemporary in my first comment. I guess that's what I get for not proof reading first. It's been a long day! lol

Sandy Ardoin said...

I'm putting my hat in the ring, so to speak. I like books with some type of mystery, whether historical or contemporary. I haven't read Karen's first book yet, but I'm looking forward to it. This one also sounds interesting.