Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Summons

This past Monday was Martin Luther King, Jr., Day. A day where we honor the life and work of a man whose beliefs changed the landscape of America forever.

I was privileged to attend “A Day of Reflection” at the Jesuit Retreat Center at Ignatius House in North Atlanta on Monday. The Executive Director of Ignatius House and facilitator for the day, Maria Cressler, did a marvelous job speaking on the life of Dr. King and I may share some of the notes I took at a later date. Today, I want to post the words to a song that Ms. Cressler used as part of the worship music. Read the words over slowly and out loud. Do any of these questions apply to you? What was your answers?

The Summons
Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?
Will you let my love be shown?
Will you let my name be known?
Will you let my life be grown in you and you in me?

Will you leave yourself behind if I but call your name?
Will you care for cruel and kind and never be the same?
Will you risk the hostile stare should your life attract or scare?
Will you let me answer prayer in you and you in me?

Will you let the blinded see if I but call your name?
Will you quell the fear inside and never be the same?
Will you use the faith you’ve found, to reshape the world around?
Through my sight and touch and sound in you and you in me.

Lord, your summons echoes true when you but call my name.
Let me tell and follow you and never be the same.
In your company I’ll go, where your love as footsteps show,
thus I’ll move and live and grow in you and you in me.

TEXT: John L. Bell b. 1949 © 1987 Iona Community, GIA Publications, Inc., agent
TUNE: Kelvin Grove, 7 6 7 6 777 6, Scottish traditional and arranged by John L Bell b. 1949
© 1987 Iona Community, GIA Publications Inc., agent

1 comment:

quietspirit said...

Edwina:
Beautiful words. They make me stop and think. (I like doing that.)