Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Book Review: A Stray Drop of Blood

Imagine if you will, that you are a young girl living during the Biblical age and sold as a slave to a prominent family of Jerusalem. Hard to imagine? You don’t have to because Roseanna M. White has done that for you in A Stray Drop of Blood. Ms. White takes you right into the heart and life of Abigail, who is the young girl sold into slavery. You are there when she is sold as a slave. You watch as she becomes more of a daughter than slave in the Visibullis home. You are shocked as the Visibullis son and heir makes her his own.

A Stray Drop of Blood was first published in 2005. Ms. White has reworked the story for its second publication in 2009. She will not need to rework it a third time because one cannot improve on a perfectly woven plot, characters that come to life as the reader gets to know them and the Biblical setting of the three years of Jesus’ teaching, His crucifixion and resurrection.

Here is a portion of the summary from the back cover:

For seven years, Abigail has been a slave in the Visibullis house. With a Hebrew mistress and a Roman master, she has always been more family than servant…until their son returns to Jerusalem after his years in Rome. Within a few months, Jason has taken her to his bed and turned her world upside down. Maybe, given time, she can come to love him as he says he loves her. But how does she open her heart to the man who ruined her?

I have read many books - both Christian and secular - in my life. Some of these books have been heralded as “the best book since the Bible,” and other larger-than-life accolades. I have been moved by these books. But none of them have come close to the effect A Stray Drop of Blood has had on me. None of the characters in the other books have awakened me in the middle of the night thinking about their struggles and their faith as Abigail did in this book. None of the other books intrigued me so that I could hardly wait for my lunch break or for my family to go to bed at night so I could get back to reading. And none of the other books taught me as much on forgiveness and faith.

In her endorsement, Julie Lessman wrote “haunts you centuries beyond the last page.” And that is true because there are many points in the book that God will use to teach you about forgiveness, faith and love. It is an anointed story full of life lessons for us.

This book must be at the top of your list of books to be read in 2010!

9 comments:

Roseanna White said...

Edwina, you just brought tears to my eyes! I'm so touched I can't help but be humbled, because there's no way that effect was anything but God. Thanks so much for this wonderful review!

Caroline said...

Edwina! What a lovely review/blog! Thank you. Roseanna is one of my critique partners & IS a very talented writer. I'm happy to see such enthusiastic comments. Blessings to you as you continue to read/write!

Would you be interested in becoming followers?
http://sunnebnkwrtr.blogspot.com

Edwina said...

Roseanna,

I really felt like I didn't have words that were superlative enough to describe the effect the book had on me. So I pray the readers of the blog will pick up on what I was trying to say - and go purchase a copy of the book for their library!

Edwina said...

Caroline,

Thanks for stopping by and reading the review! I would love to be a follower - headed over to your site now!

Roseanna White said...

Well that just makes my day AGAIN, lol. Rest assured that your review got your point across--hence why I had to email the link to all my critique partners. =) I have, in fact, left your blog up on my tabs so I can click over for a little lift every few minutes. ;-)

Stephanie Morrill said...

You're right, Edwina, this is an amazing book! I loved how the plot wove in scriptures I've heard since I was a child. It really made me see things differently.

Mary said...

Edwina, Your review of A Stray Drop of Blood was beautiful and right on. And I identify with trying to find the words to convey the depths of emotions it stirred in me when I read it. And the thoughts that lingered days later, and the many more days I spent to finally write my own review that just didn't seem to give it all the praise it deserves. I agree with your prayer about readers purchasing a copy of the book and finding out for themselves what a precious treasure it is.

quietspirit said...

Edwina:
This sounds like a must read book for all.
I have never heard of any saying they woke up in the night and worried about characters except a writer.

This sounds like an excellent book.

Edwina said...

Many thanks to all of you for stopping by to read my review of A Stray Drop of Blood.

Please feel free to sign up to follow my blog!

Blessings,
Edwina