Thursday, January 28, 2010

Book Review of "Plain Pursuit"

Good heavens! I knew it had been a while since I've written and posted a blog - but I had no idea it has been a week! I will say it's been an incredibly busy week. I'm working very hard on my current manuscript, I have three devotions and a short story I'm writing for the local writing group I belong to, and I have four books to read and write reviews. Whew! No wonder I'm tired! Below is the first book review of the four:

Book Review
Plain Pursuit
By
Beth Wiseman
I must admit that I’ve not read many Amish stories. Based on what I have read, I’ve not become a huge fan of Amish stories. And I’ve wondered at the immense popularity of the Amish books. Until now. I just finished reading Plain Pursuit by Beth Wiseman. In her writing of the Amish country, Beth transforms the reader into a member of the Amish community. Her knowledge of the Amish ways is vast and she weaves that knowledge throughout this book. But Plain Pursuit is much more than just a fiction book based on the Amish community. It is a love story between two friends. It is a love story between a man, shunned from the Amish community, and an Englisch (that’s not a typo) woman. Englisch is a non-Amish person. And I know that because Ms. Wiseman graciously included a glossary of Amish terms in the front of the book. Most importantly, it is a love story between God and His children. A love story of redemption and reconciliation.

Here is the book cover summary:
Carley Marek experiences culture shock when she visits her friend Lillian’s family on their farm deep in Amish country. She’ll get an article out of the visit-and maybe some of Lillian’s newfound peace will somehow rub off on her.

Just when Carley is getting used to the quiet nature of the Plain community, Lillian and Samuel’s son falls ill. But the local doctor who can offer the most help has been shunned by the community and forbidden to intervene.

As David’s condition deteriorates, Dr. Noah determines to do whatever it takes to save the boy’s life. Carley is caught in the middle—drawn to Noah, wanting to be helpful in the crisis—and confused by all their talk about a God she neither knows nor trusts.

Carley must decide what is life is worth pursuing…and what to do when she’s pursued by a love she never expected.

This book is obviously written from a heart full of love for God and for the Amish people. It is a book that holds the readers’ attention to the end and when the last page is read and the book is closed, the readers are left with that “feel good” feeling.

Plain Pursuit – a “must” read – perfect to read on a freezing winter evening in front of the fireplace with a cup of hot chocolate. Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Krysti said...

Terrific review, Edwina! I'm not into the whole Amish genre, but this book sounds very interesting, and like something I might like to read.

Edwina said...

Thanks,Krysti!

I'm sure you would enjoy this book - even the series. I plan to go back and read the first book - Plain Perfect.

Blessings,
Edwina

Anonymous said...

Hi Edwina!

Thanks so much for this lovely review!

Many blessings to you!
Beth Wiseman