Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Gifts of Advent

I read an excellent article in Pray!, an online news magazine, just a few days ago. I was so impressed by it that I want to share parts of it with you.

The article was titled “Unwrapping God’s Gifts” and the author was Cynthia Bezek, editor of the magazine. Ms. Bezek wrote about Advent, which begins today, and her article focused on Mary, the mother of Jesus, and her reaction to the news that she would be the Mother of the Messiah. The article spoke of how Ms. Bezek was impressed with Mary’s “ability to receive the affirmation and blessing God was giving her,” and how Mary “received God’s affirmation with both humility and confidence and praised Him, saying:

My soul magnifies the Lord
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for He has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
for the Mighty One has done great things for me –
Holy is His name. (Luke 1:46-49)

Ms. Bezek continues, “I want to be like Mary – a person who hears what God says about her, receives it, and is transformed by it. One who believes He loves and delights in and favors her. Who confidently accepts what He says about her as true and doesn’t argue, bargain, deny, or come unglued when He invites her to partner with Him to accomplish impossible-sounding things.”

She then reveals her plan for the season of Advent. “I intend to unwrap one of God’s gifts for me each day and ask Him to help me to intentionally receive it and believe and live differently because of it. I don’t know what specific gift the Holy Spirit will invite me to unwrap each day, but there are myriad possibilities, life changing gifts such as:

• His promises: presence, hope, redemption, restoration, help, comfort, wisdom, forgiveness
• His deliverance: from fear, condemnation, despair, defeat, confusion, depression
• His victory: over temptation, besetting sins, spiritual attacks, doubt
• His Spirit’s fruit: love, joy, peace, goodness, kindness, and so on”

How wonderful it would be to be transformed during this season of Advent! To unwrap a gift from God each day and truly experience His love and all of His good gifts He has selected just for you! He stands ready to lavish His love upon you, to pour the oil of healing into your heart, soul and mind and to give you all He has for you.

I encourage you to join with Ms. Bezek and me and unwrap a gift from God every day during the Advent Season. I am positive that the gifts you open have been selected and wrapped just for you!

I’d love to hear about your gifts! Please leave a comment anytime during the Advent Season. I may not blog everyday about my gifts, but feel free to leave your comments anyway!

Maranatha!

(c) Edwina Cowgill
December,2009

2 comments:

quietspirit said...

Edwina:
I want to join you in unwrapping His gifts to me this Advent.

Edwina said...

Hi QuietSpirit,

I'm so glad you decided to "open your gifts" during this Advent Season. I pray that God will reveal Himself to you in ways you've never experienced before!
If you feel led to do so, please share some of your gifts!

Blessings,
Edwina