Thursday, October 22, 2009

Time Flies

My husband and I were talking just the other day about how fast time flies. We realize, of course, that time moves at the same steady pace every day. Sixty seconds to a minute, sixty minutes to an hour, 24 hours to a day...you get my drift. When we were younger, it seemed that time stood still as we waited eagerly for certain events to occur—we turn sixteen and get our driver’s license; graduate from high school and become independent; at eighteen, we can vote, and so on and so forth. As we get older, however, time flies and we want it to slow down. There is too much happening in our lives, the lives of our children and grandchildren and we want to keep up with all of it.

My precious grandson, who I swear was a toddler yesterday, celebrated his 14th birthday this past Monday. My daughter and I sat at his birthday dinner Monday night and reminisced some about his birth and the time after.

Kim went through a lot the day before and the day of Mack’s birth. Her birthing coach and her obstetrician got into a shouting match in her room and I had to kick them out. The baby went into distress and Kim had to have medication to speed up the labor. She was in labor almost 24 hours, the latter hours being excruciatingly painful. And no wonder – Mackenzie Kyle Bond-McGee was born on October 19 weighing a healthy 10 lbs., 12 oz. Shortly after Mack was delivered, Kim began to lose blood rapidly and there were quite a few scary minutes until that situation was brought under control.

Mackenzie was born hungry and practically starved until we figured out he was not getting enough nourishment. Once on formula, he grew rapidly. Not that he needed to grow. His appetite has never abated; he still eats all the time! He’s taller than me and almost as tall as him mom. His mama’s raising him right – he’s a Georgia Bulldog fan through and through!

Mack, you have brought me so much joy and I love you dearly! Could you just slow the next 14 years down?!

4 comments:

quietspirit said...

Edwina:
We have friends whose two youngest grandchildren have grown up before my eyes. One day, I am going to here one of them will be entering another phase of their lives and I will probably think of the song, "Sunrise,Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof.

Edwina said...

That song says it all, doesn't it? Beautiful music!

Unknown said...

Mack is 14??? Next I'll hear he has graduated from college and getting married! I didn't realize Kim had a very eventful delivery. Charlie and I talk all the time about how time flies. I tend to reminisce about the good ol' times...

Edwina said...

Debbie,

He is 14! And such a cutie (not that I'm prejudiced or anything!)

I find the older I get, the more I reminisce!! Not that we are getting older!