Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Plans, Protection and Gratitude

There’s only two things guaranteed in life: death and taxes. Or so the saying goes. I tend to disagree. Yes, it is guaranteed we will pay taxes. And yes, there is a time appointed to each individual to die (Ecclesiastes 3:2). I believe there is another guarantee and that is we never know what each day, each hour or even each second will bring. Certainly, we can make plans but even those are apt to change in the blink of an eye. The Bible says “In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.” (Pro. 16:9) and “Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.” (Prov. 19:21)

Before I continue writing on this particular topic today, let me explain something. I do not believe that God causes bad things to happen to us. Scriptures tell us that Jesus came to give us “life more abundantly, but the enemy comes to steal, kill and destroy.” An entire dissertation could be written on whether or not we believe that God causes or allows bad things to happen to us and that is not the point of today’s blog. I do believe, however, that God will use every experience we have, good and bad, to remind us and/or teach us the things He wants us to know.

I recently had surgery and had planned to be out of work for two days. I actually missed two weeks of work. Obviously, my plans changed. Monday was my first day back at work. By noon, I was tired and beginning to be uncomfortable. By two o’clock, I was exhausted and hurting. So I planned to leave the office by three o’clock, go home, take a pain pill and rest for the remainder of the afternoon and evening.

I did leave the office around three, as I had planned. It had been raining earlier in the day but had stopped by then so I decided to drive home via the interstate. I turned onto the entrance ramp to I-85 and as I accelerated, I hit a puddle of water and immediately my Jeep hydroplaned. In less than five seconds, my plans changed. The Jeep fishtailed back and forth in the muddy grass before coming to a stop (after I finally had sense enough to pump the brakes!). By the time it stopped, I was trembling like a leaf in a hurricane, amazed that I had not hit anything and no one had hit me.

Thankfully, a husband and wife stopped and soon, two other kind gentlemen and a police woman stopped. After many attempts, the four managed to get the Jeep out of the mud while the police woman stopped the traffic.

I thanked everyone profusely and shakily drove home. Later, I sat down and thought back over what happened. This incident reminded me that I can make all the plans I want to – even small ones like going home to rest – and those plans can disintegrate in a heartbeat.

I realized that God was truly watching over me; angels of protection surrounded me that entire time. I knew that God had sent those specific people to help me. Why them? I don’t know, but God does and I pray that He blesses them abundantly for their help.

I was also reminded to be grateful for every second I have to live. It is so much easier to be grateful than to be angry, unforgiving, bitter or hateful. Life is too short and too precious.
So make your plans, understanding that God directs your steps. And be grateful for all that God has given you.

Oh yes. God does have a sense of humor. After thinking over what had happened, I saw this picture in my mind’s eye of my car sliding down that grassy slope and my ministering angels of protection hanging on for dear life!

1 comment:

quietspirit said...

Edwina:
I am glad you are all right. We all have changes in our plans. I was to go to my writing group meeting tonight. But, my innards had other plans for me. So, I am home. Getting caught up on my blog reading and checking out some of the speakers I will hear early in November at a writer's conference.