Friday, September 25, 2009

Commitment – Part 2

Late last night, I posted my blog for today “Commitment.” I talked about how we should be committed to three things – or actually people:
• God
• Family
• Ourselves

This morning I sat down at my computer to check emails and realized I had not turned the pages for several days on my calendar. I have a “non-dated” calendar. It has the date on each page, but not the day or year, so the calendar can be used over and over for years to come.

Today’s verse is Proverbs 16:3 “Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.” Do you think God is trying to tell me something here? Obviously! I left something out of Part 1. Yes, it is extremely important to commit to God, Family and Ourselves. If we are not committed to God, frankly, nothing else matters. We must be committed to our families and to taking care of ourselves. However, nowhere in these three, do we find where we commit our plans to God. This is important to God or it wouldn’t be in the Bible.

When I think of committing my plans, I think long-term. Like, I will get my Master’s Degree by 2010. Or I will get these certain promotions on my way up the corporate ladder until I am CEO by 2012. Big, high, lofty plans. Don’t misunderstand me. There is nothing wrong with that. I have read several excellent books on how to accomplish those things. Career goals are very important and everyone who is in the workforce should have them.

But do our plans line up with the plans God has for us? He plainly states in Jeremiah 29:11 that he has plans for us. “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord, “plans for peace and prosperity and not for evil, to give you hope and a future.” (emphasis mine) Almighty God, the Creator of the universe, has specific plans He has made for each one of us. Do our plans line up with His? If not, they should. His plans for us are far better than anything we could think of or ask of Him. So, point number one is we should ask God to tell us what His plans for us are, and what He wants us to do, if anything, to fulfill those plans.

I also think that Proverbs 16:3 is not just for our long-range plans, but for every day. Every morning before we start our day, we should commit the day to God. We should pray that everything we think, say and do during our day would line up with what He says for us. And, whatever we think, say and do would bring Him honor and glory. We need to remember: we don’t know who will cross our path on any given day. Certainly, co-workers and family. But what about the young teenage couple, dressed in Goth, at the convenience store? Or the elderly man sitting alone on the nursing home porch when we run by for just a few minutes to visit our relative? Maybe these and others are people whom God places in our path on any given day so we can share His love, speak His life into their lives. If we don’t commit our day to God, at the very beginning of the day, we may never have the opportunity to bless others. Point number two: never do anything of importance until we commit our day, every day, to God.

Finally, there are times when we are struggling with life. Our spouse missed work because of illness and now we are behind on our bills. The kids have outgrown their shoes and there is no extra money to purchase what they need. The roof leaks, the washing machine is broke. You get my point because all of us have been in similar situations before. What if we have committed our plans to God and we find ourselves in this position? What do we do?

A number of years ago, my pastor preached a sermon that has remained with me all this time. He alluded to similar situations that I mentioned in the previous paragraph and in my mind I added “if your spouse has left.” Because mine had, a few months prior to that night. So what do we do when we find ourselves in those situations? According to my pastor, you keep your eyes focused on Jesus and you take one step at a time. Or you march in place until you can move forward. Right foot…left foot…right foot…left foot. Just like a military cadence. With your eyes unwaveringly focused on God. Point number three: Never take your eyes off of God and never, ever give up.

We have committed to God, to our family and to ourselves. We have committed our plans to God – both long-range and daily. What now?

“Send us out into the world in peace. Grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart. Through Christ our Lord, AMEN.”

No comments: