Most Christians I know are very patriotic. We are grateful to live in a country where we can worship at the church of our choice, on the day we choose. We can own as many Bibles as we want. We can meet in homes for prayer and Bible study. We can, for now at least, pray in public. Whether or not we still have these and other freedoms at the end of the current President’s administration remains to be seen (another blog for another day).
Christians have the privilege of celebrating freedom every day. Freedom in Christ, that is. The Bible says “Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." But what is the truth?
- "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.” (John 3:16-18 NIV) When we believe on Jesus and accept Him into our hearts, we are no longer condemned but rather granted an eternal home in heaven.
- “The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows.”) (John 10:10 Amplified) Not only does God want us to have eternal life with Him, but He also wants us to have an abundant life here on earth.
- "So if the Son sets you free, you are free through and through.” (John 8:34 The Message) Many people remain in bondage even after accepting Jesus as their Lord and Savior. It is not that they want to remain in bondage; for many, they do not realize they are in bondage. Bondage to old habits, bondage to anger, fear, resentment, bondage to unforgiveness. All of these are poison to a person who remains bound to them.
- Many years ago, I was going through a very dark period in my life and God gave me a dream one night. I dreamed I was literally wrapped from shoulder to feet in chains. There was not even an inch between the layers of chains that bound me. As I stood there and cried out to God, the chains began to pop, breaking loose row by row. It was an amazing dream and showed me that God was working to break me free from the chains that bound me.
- If you are reading this blog and realize that you remain bound to past hurts, emotions and/or unforgiveness, ask God to forgive you for any sin that may cause you to remain bound.
- Ask Him to break the chains that still bind you. Receive His forgiveness.
- Celebrate your freedom.